For someone with myopia, wearing glasses or contact lenses may be a problem, either aesthetic or something else. The laser-correction method is something that does not leave anyone with visual impairments cold, and their promises are fantastic, like 20/20 vision, with 95% of successful incidents and you will not need your glasses again. Is it so?
How does surgery work? Be careful, you may feel uncomfortable with the images.
Like all the things that have to do with our looks, here are a lot of money in this case, so you should look for a good surgeon before deciding to do an operation like this, since the doctors will not tell you everything about and fortunately the internet is a source of information about side effects that have to do with a cure or surgery and the doctors do not say it.
Problems from Lasik (Part 1 and 2)
The most common side effects
Dry eyes, blurred vision, double vision, bright circles at night (Halos), and myopia returning are the most common side effects that may happen to someone and sometimes remain for a long time (or forever). And think that we still do not know about any problems that can arise after more years.
In addition to the side effects such an operation has, there are many reports that the Lasik method is dangerous. In fact, in 2008, the US Food and Drug Administration said it would review the safety of laser surgeons, mainly because of the complaints they have received. From 1998 to 2006, the FDA received about 140 protests, so expect this figure to have grown a lot .
Lasik’s actual side effects
One of the most important problems is the LASIK flap, the thin flap of the cornea that is lifted up during surgery and repositioned. According to many doctors and videos you can find on Youtube, the flap is actually never fully cured, and according to research, problems can occur even after two years of surgery .
In 2006, in a meta-analysis made by WebMD, they noticed that the chances of losing sight of infection after such an operation are 1 to 10,000 . Although there is a smaller percentage of the same problem as the use of contact lenses (1 to 2000), it remains equally high.
The US Food and Drug Administration has recently added a special LASIK information page and, in its side effects, it also has the potential for blindness .
One can say that he can make this surgery and his eyesight problems will be disappear. However, besides being expensive for many people, you also have to do and some other things the doctor will tell you, such as using collyrium, avoiding dust in the first few days, wearing always sunglasses etc.
Remember that laser surgery is NOT a cure, as I’ve read in various Internet discussions, but a “specialized” contact lens placement. Not a single doctor can guarantee that at some point in the future, your myopia will not come back and so you will not need glasses again (meaning it will not increase to the point that you can not see well).
On the internet there are too many pages with the problems of these interventions. Regarding the problems mentioned, in the end I will add some websites for more information.
You need to know
- The Lasik method is not harmless. Problems in your eyesight appear more often than doctors admit. Watch Dr. Lauranell Burch , which asked the FDA to ban the Lasik method.
- Dr. Morris Waxler, who was responsible for licensing Lasik, is leading the campaign to ban him picking up signatures .
- Over 1,100 people, mostly people who had bad experiences from Lasik, supported online Dr. Morris Waxler, while you can also read their cases .
- One of Taiwan’s top surgeons, Ray Tsai, stopped surgery because there were many complications even after 10 years .
- The dry eye caused by Lasik has become a goldmine for the company that makes the Restasis drops, which are given by doctors and that do not work for everyone (and long-term use is required in many cases) . According to research, a significant percentage of patients will develop dry eye from the surgery .
- Doctors are certainly not willing to tell you the whole truth, as the cost of the machines is high, so doctors want the most interventions to cover their costs but also their profit.
- You can not know the physician’s credibility and experience, as well as how modern a machine he has. You may be lucky if you find answers online in a forum.